A Brief History of the ACJC
Our General Chairmen
1914 - Present
Bishop Benjamin "Ben" Harrison Pemberton
Bishop William Henry Whittington
Bishop Winfrey Azal Snelling
Bishop Charles Warren
Bishop Edward "Ed" Earle Hall
Bishop Lonnie Smith
"Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity." - Psalm 133:1
With Apostolic doctrine and Apostolic Fellowship with an Apostolic Aim, this body of Christian ministers and workers are determined and hope to obtain Apostolic results.
The Apostolic Church of Jesus Christ is a continuation of the great revival that began at Jerusalem, on the Day of Pentecost. It is founded upon the Bible, with repentance toward God, and faith in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Its aim and object is the salvation of the lost, by the promulgation of the doctrines and teaching of the early church which is founded upon the Apostles and Prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the Chief Corner Stone (Ephesians 2:20-21).
The Apostolic Church of Jesus Christ was organized for a foundation for the unity of all believers of the Oneness movement under the Church name that best reveals the complete Foundation of the Church. “The Apostolic Church of Jesus Christ” was the desire and sentiment of many for a church name. This was proven by a strange happening which occurred about the same time, and in the same month (October 1925). There was another body of ministers and workers of the same faith who met together from three states at Houston, Texas who also chose the name of The Apostolic Church of Jesus Christ for their organization.
These brethren soon learned that it was impossible for them to obtain a charter for this name as the same was being chartered in the State of Missouri. They then selected another name for the organization with headquarters in the Southern part of the country. They became known as “The Emmanuel’s Church in Jesus Christ.” Two years passed and these two bodies were brought into acquaintance with each other. These two bodies came into closer fellowship in 1927 at a conference in Guthrie, Oklahoma.
Finally, in Port Arthur, Texas in October 1928, The Emmanuel’s Church in Jesus Christ and The Apostolic Church of Jesus Christ merged into one great body of Christian Workers and Ministers of the Apostolic Faith from throughout the entire country. More than eighty ministers and workers were present realizing the need of all God’s people of this faith to stand firm for the old-time Apostolic Doctrine and Fellowship.
The Apostolic Church of Jesus Christ continues today promoting Apostolic Doctrine, Apostolic Aim, and Apostolic Fellowship and, as a Body of Christian Ministers and Workers, is determined to obtain Apostolic Results.
[The above is adapted from the History of the Apostolic Church of Jesus Christ which was unanimously adopted at the Annual Conference at St. Louis, Missouri, October 31-November 4, 1935.]